New Hampshire Oversize Permits
NEW HAMPSHIRE OVERSIZE PERMITS INFORMATION
PERMITS: New Hampshire oversize permits are valid for five travel days. Must have permit prior to entering the state.
OPERATING TIME: One-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset, Monday through Friday. No weekend or holiday travel for overdimensional loads. Overweight only are not restricted for travel time.
RESTRICTED TRAVEL: Travel through the city of Manchester is restricted during the hours of 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Toll road requirements are the same as other highways. No travel on major holidays, including some holiday weekend restrictions.
- 53′ semi-trailer on Interstate and designated highways (41′ Kingpin to center of rear tandem)
- 48′ on all other roads
Length limitations do not apply to vehicles transporting poles, pipes, logs, timbers, steel beams (not for stretch trailers)
Weight: 80,000 Gross
- Single – 20,000 designated highways* (22,400 other roads)
- Tandem – 34,000 designated highways* (36,000 other roads)
- Tridem – Same as tandem
* When GVW isn’t over 73,280 pounds, 22,440 pounds legal on a single axle, and 36,000 on a tandem.
ROUTINE PERMIT LIMITS
- Single – 25,000
- Tandem – 50,000
- Tridem – 70,000
- Quad – 85,000
Loads exceeding these dimensions are treated as super loads.
A bridge review is required when: any single axle exceeds 27,500 pounds, any axle of a tandem exceeds 25,000 pounds, any axle of a tridem exceeds 22,500 pounds, any axle of a quad exceeds 20,000 pounds, any 5-axle combination exceeds 100,000 pounds, any 6-axle combination exceeds 120,000 pounds, any 7-axle combination exceeds 130,000 pounds, any combination of 8 or more axles exceeds 149,999 pounds.
- At 80′ – one escort
- Over 100′ – State Police escort (need 48 hour notice) unless they exempt it
- Over 15′ – one escort
- On a two-lane undivided highway, two escorts are required if overhang exceeds 15′ and width is over 12′
- At 12′ – one escort
- Over 15′-1″ – one state police escort
- Over 18′ – two State Police escort (need 48 hour notice). State may require a second escort for some routes
Height: Route survey may be required for over 13′-6″ high, escort not usually required for height.
SIGNS, FLAGS & LIGHTS: "Oversize Load” sign required on front of an oversize vehicle and on the rear of the vehicle or load, whichever provides the best rear display. Mount red flags (at least 12″ square) on all extremities of the load when load extends over sides of trailer more than 4 inches. When rear overhang exceeds 4′, 1 flag shall be displayed at the end of the overhang if less than 2′ wide and 2 flags if the overhang is over 2′ wide. There are no special lighting requirements.
SEASONAL LOAD RESTRICTIONS: During spring thaw, weights may be limited to 20,000 gross axle weight or less.
Electronic permits are acceptable if permit can be signed electronically